Sunday, October 12, 2008

Zeus - the happy ending


Zeus was more than a rescue or a dog I trained.  Zeus and I connected on such a deep spiritual level that its hard to describe in words.  I knew he would be a part of my life the first time I ever walked by his cage in August 2008.  I made several pleas, but no one stepped up.  Since he wasn't a 100% purebred Malinois, the Malinois rescues shunned him.  So, he was due to be killed.  Being the stubborn person I am, I bailed him out with no hope of what to do with him.  Living in a loft at the beach with one dominant dog, I knew he would not be coming to sleep over.  I boarded him and immediately began training and socializing him.  Something he did not have since he spent the last 5 months at the shelter.

He was a handful, and I don't say that too often.  Take a look at the videos and you'll see what mean.  For those who know the physical strength of a Mal,  you may understand.  He was one of the most challenging dogs I've trained and the most challenging one I've rescued.  I spent 3 weeks training him ever day and spending on average 2 hours a day with him.  He needed a lot of work.

In my heart I wanted to keep him, but I know my responsibility to him was to find him the best home I could.  Strangely enough I got an email from some great people who saw the YouTube video I did on him.  I had talked to several others, but none clicked with me.  Tim did right away.  Then I talked to his wife Lori and it was a hit.  I reviewed their application and drove down a few days later with Zeus.  Zeus and I looked at each other and we knew this is where he belonged.  I handed the leash over to their son Joey and the energy between Zeus and I moved to another place.  He would glance at me from time to time, but he knew what was happening.  He and I always communicated with a look, and this time was no different.

Zeus was so well behaved and calm, he was a teacher for me as much as I was for him.  He taught me strength and I taught him discipline, we taught each other about love.  The family of Lori, Tim and Joey are such a perfect family for him that my heart, although sad to say goodbye, was warm in knowing the love they would share.

I've received so many emails and calls from them praising how they love him that I feel still connected with him.  They give him the love and structure plus the big yard a dog like Zeus needs.  I am blessed to have met Zeus and further blessed that a loving, perfect family like Tim, Lori and Joey opened their hearts and door to him.

No comments: